Ginny Frankenthaler's Biography

Ginny Frankenthaler

Virginia Boyd Frankenthaler was born December 11, 1926, in Arab, Alabama, attended public school in Huntsville, and graduated from S. R. Butler High School. Her family then moved to Auburn where Ginny attended THE University. An avid life-long football fan who believed that Auburn University could do no wrong, she graduated with a B.S. degree in social work. She met Bud Frankenthaler in August 1956, and they were married in November at the Redstone Arsenal Post Chapel. They lived in Huntsville where Ginny continued her career as a social worker. Bud received a commission as a Second Lieutenant. They went to Germany where Bud served as a Company Commander and Ginny did volunteer adoption social work for the International Social Services. While in Mannheim, Germany, Ginny gave birth to Debbie Lee Frankenthaler in 1958 and Stanley Edward Frankenthaler, III in 1960. They returned to the United States at the end of 1960 and resided on Long Island where Ginny renewed her career as a social worker. When Bud had a career change and the family moved to New Jersey in 1964, Ginny worked in the private sector doing research regarding single mothers who raise their children while residing in a low-income housing project.

In 1967, the Frankenthaler family was transferred by McGraw-Hill Publishing Company to St. Louis County, Missouri where Ginny decided it was time to be a full-time mother. When, in 1969, they were transferred to New York City, she continued her full-time career as a mother. In 1976, the family decided to move to Savannah, Georgia, and start a family-run recreational campground, which they sold in 1985. They later opened a restaurant in Hinesville, Georgia. At this time, Ginny was also doing volunteer work with the humane society. Ginny's daughter, Debbie, became a full-time mother and homeschooled her two daughters. She now teaches special education in the public school system. Ginny's son, Stan, graduated from the University of Georgia and then was valedictorian of his class at the Culinary Institute of America. He went on to own a gourmet restaurant and is now an Executive Chef for a large restaurant holding company.

Ginny died June 14, 1998. At her well-attended funeral, it was noted numerous times that Ginny's life demonstrated that she loved all people and all animals. The humane society named its Spay/Neuter Clinic after her. A voracious reader, Ginny commented many times that "our free library system is a true measure of our freedom of opportunity, as it gives everyone an unrestricted path to learning."