To promote an ongoing continuing education program for the region.
- To collect and disseminate information on continuing education activities for library personnel throughout the region.
- To recommend topics for continuing education programs sponsored through SELA
- To serve as liaison between SELA and CLENE (nation-wide continuing education network).
- To work with the Executive Board and the Headquarters staff in the following areas:
- developing a regional plan for continuingeducation and staff development
- reviewing and approving applications for programs in this field conducted through SELA (See Appendix C. Continuing Education Programs Guidelines).
- conducting needs assessment surveys for designing continuing education programs.
- To work with the Library Education Section in areas of mutual concern.
It was suggested to the Executive Board by the Headquarters staff that policies related to association sponsored workshops were needed in June 1977. There were two workshops in the planning stages at that time and questions had arisen about how the income should be handled. An ad hoc committee was appointed to develop a written policy as to SELA's role in continuing education and to identify areas which might need study. It became a Standing Committee in 1979. This committee has developed guidelines and an application form for approval of proposed programs, made a survey of regional programs being conducted, and is responsible for SELA's membership in CLENE.